1 Kings 1:44 The king has sent him with Zadok the priest, Nathan the prophet, Benaiah son of Jehoiada, the Cherethites and the Pelethites, and they have caused him to ride upon the king’s mule.
AMP (1 Ki 1:38 KJV) So Zadok the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and the Cherethites, and the Pelethites, went down, and caused Solomon to ride upon king David’s mule, and brought him to Gihon.
1 Kings 1:38 So Zadok the priest, Nathan the prophet, Benaiah son of Jehoiada, the Cherethites, and the Pelethites [the king’s bodyguards] went down and caused Solomon to ride upon King David’s mule and brought him to Gihon. AMP
- I was drawn towards this phrase in verse 44. “and he caused him to ride on the king’s donkey(mule). I felt the Holy Spirit was saying that this phrase is important although I was unaware for what reason.
- I began to search for the reason and lesson that might behind this phrase.
- I wondered why Kings rode donkeys. Why not ride on horses or in chariots or carriages.
- I discovered that it was not the donkey that was important but the purpose for which Kind David “caused” Solomon to ride his donkey. (It was to anoint him king over Israel).
- I also discovered that the King’s donkey was not to be ridden by anyone but the king or by those whom the king granted permission.
- I saw that Solomon riding the Kings donkey was the result of the Kings choice.
- He had chosen Solomon his son to be the one who would sit in his place as king after he died.
- So Solomon being granted to ride the King’s donkey WAS A PUBLIC DECLARATION that he had been chosen be next king
- Mules were then used by all the princes (2 Samuel 13:29); but there was a state mule, of which all subjects were forbidden, under pain of death, to make use without special permission; so that its being granted to Solomon was a public declaration in his favour as the future king
- The king gave specific instructions for the ceremony of crowning. David’s own mule was to be used, the royal mule, to signify that Solomon was the king’s chosen one. 34. Anoint him there king over Israel.
THE KING WAS MAKING PUBLIC DECLARATION AS TO HIS CHOICE
The Kings choice was not done secretly or in the corner. It was declared openly for all the people, the nation to see and know. (This is consistent with the actions of Jesus in his teaching ministry on earth).
John 18:20 “I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. NIV
King David publicly declares that this is my son who will sit in my place as king.
HE WANTS ALL ISRAEL (AND THE WORLD) TO KNOW THAT SOLOMON IS HIS CHOICE
HE SETTLES ALL DISPUTES AND CONTENTION about who would be king in his place.
THIS IS WHAT GOD DOES FOR US
GOD MAKES PUBLIC RECOGNITION THAT HE HAS CHOSEN US.
WE ARE HIS CHOICE.
John 1:12 But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name — [Isaiah 56:5.] AMP
GOD CHOSE US
HE GAVE US PERMISSION TO RIDE ON HIS DONKEY.
HIS CHOICE WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT!
WE ARE NOT HIS SONS BY LUCK OR BY CHANCE.
WE ARE GOD’S CHILDREN AS A RESULT OF GOD CHOOSING US
WE ARE HIS CHOICE
THIS CHOICE IS BASED UPON GOD HIMSELF AND NOTHING ELSE.
It was not based upon man’s goodness, or on man’s works or efforts.
Romans 9:11 And the children were yet unborn and had so far done nothing either good or evil. Even so, in order further to carry out God’s purpose of selection (election, choice), which depends not on works or what men can do, but on Him Who calls [them], AMP
HIS CHOICE OF US WAS DELIBERATE
GOD CHOSE US
1 Thessalonians 1:4 [O] brethren beloved by God, we recognize and know that He has selected (chosen) you; AMP
Again we read; GOD’S ACCEPTANCE OF US AS HIS CHILDREN -THE CHILDREN OF GOD.
1 John 3 1 SEE WHAT [an incredible] quality of love the Father has given (shown, bestowed on) us, that we should [be permitted to] be named and called and counted the children of God! And so we are! The reason that the world does not know (recognize, acknowledge) us is that it does not know (recognize, acknowledge) Him. AMP
GOD – through the death of his Son – MADE US KINGS – THIS SHOWS HIS ACCEPTANCE OF US.
We are HIS choice.
Revelation 5:10 And You have made them a kingdom (royal race) and priests to our God, and they shall reign [as kings] over the earth! [Exodus 19:6; Isaiah 61:6.] AMP
WE ARE ACCEPTED IN THE SON
Ephesians 1:6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, in which He did make us accepted in the beloved, YLT
- WE ARE JESUS SUCCESSORS
- WE ARE TO TAKE HIS PLACE
- WE ARE TO HAVE HIS AUTHORITY (as a King)
John 14:12 I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father. AMP
WE ARE TO REPRESENT CHRIST TO THIS WORLD
- Riding on the KINGS donkey. How proud I would be to do that, in fact all of us should feel honoured to have that privilege.
- When God chose us in Christ he in fact was saying, ’you can ride on my donkey’ You are my choice!
- I have told the whole world and all creation that I have chosen, selected you.
- Through Christ and his atoning death on the Cross God made his choice of us.
- He appointed us and anointed us to take his place.
- To be his successors in carrying out the work of the kingdom.
- To operate in the authority of the king.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE RIDING ON THE KING’S DONKEY
ALWAYS REMEMBER THE HONOUR AND THE DIGNITY THAT IS YOURS BECAUSE OF GOD’S CHOICE OF YOU AND I
In having to face the world, the devil and all kinds of diverse circumstances always remember you are God’s son and daughter. You are his choice.
YOU HAVE DIGNITY AND HONOUR BECAUSE GOD CHOSE YOU.
- You are his son and his daughter.
- You have his authority to act on his behalf.
- YOU CAN RESPOND TO ALL CIRCUMSTANCES WITHOUT FEAR, CONDEMNATION OR INFERIORITY ALL BECAUSE GOD CHOSE YOU.
- You have his authority to act and respond to every situation with and in the knowledge that you are acting on his behalf and with his expressed permission.
- YOU ARE TRULY RIDING THE KING’S DONKEY
THE DONKEY – ORDINARY BUT MAJESTIC
- FIRSTLY, the donkey maybe an ordinary looking donkey but the donkey gets his importance and worth from the one who owns him.
- SECONDLY, the one who rides the king’s donkey also receives honour and worthy recognition
- THIRDLY, the importance of the person who gave permission to ride on his donkey is the key factor here. The king gave his permission.
THIS SHOULD ALSO BE IMPORTANT TO US – AND IT IS.
WE SHOULD ALWAYS LOOK AT THE ONE WHO GAVE US PERMISSION TO RIDE HIS DONKEY
OUR AUTHORISATION COMES FROM THE KING HIMSELF
Pastor Barry Silverback.